Monday, October 15, 2012

A Day in One Photo: A short lesson in Irish butter.

Hi!
I was thinking that, on days when I have nothing out of my daily routine to share, I would post a photo from one of my previous trips and do a short blog post to go along with it. I only just started blogging, and I've already been here for a month and a half, so I figured that I should make up for some lost time.


 This is me and my friends Kyla, Holly, and Montana, respectively, outside of the Cork Butter Museum! This museum is located near the Four Faced Liar (Cork City's clock tower, a story for another time :D ) in downtown Cork. For about 3 euro you get to go in, watch a documentary about butter in Ireland, and explore the two floor's worth of butter related artifacts! Unbeknownst to me before we visited, the southern part of Ireland including Co. Cork and Co. Kerry was an incredibly important part of the world's butter industry in the 20th century. I thought it was just potatoes. Some of the artifacts in the museum included churns and vats that would have been used to make and store the butter. Upstairs there is a wooden bucket with butter still inside (to my knowledge, not edible)! Sometimes the people making the butter would siphon it into one of these buckets and then stick it into the peat bog to keep it preserved. Men working in the bogs today will still find containers of this "bog butter" when cutting out peat for fuel. Fun fun fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment