Monday, October 22, 2012

Midnight in Beauvais

This past weekend my friends Brianna, Holly O'Brien, Montana, and I took a trip to France!! The first night Brianna and Holly and I stayed in Beauvais, a town about an hour outside of Paris. Unfortunately we decided to walk into town instead of taking the bus. An hour and a half later, at midnight, we finally arrived in town, and all hotels were closed!!! So instead of staying in a bed. We slept for about an hour on the southern porch of the Beauvais Cathedral, the most awe-inspiring building I have ever laid eyes on!
Beauvais Cathedral
 This cathedral is so tall that when it was first built it actually collapsed while people were inside!! Luckily, it collapsed so slowly that everyone was able to get out. They rebuilt it but never successfully finished it, so there's no nave. If you were looking at it from the sky, you would just see the top of the cross-shaped form, with a small more modern church added on where the body of the church should be.

The "Pimple" Church where the nave of Beauvais should be.
A side street on our walk back!

So after that hour on the porch of a cathedral, we got very cold, so we started the hour and a half walk back to the Beauvais airport. We even ran into a new furry friend!


Finally, we got back, and we slept/tried to keep warm on some tables outside of the airport for about four hours until it opened.
Altogether, the night was unusual and eventful, but totally worth it, at least for me. I wanted to see Beauvais Cathedral ever since I took a course on Castles and Cathedrals, and we sort of stumbled upon it. If we hadn't been walking into town that night, I don't know if I would have seen it at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment